Traditional Japanese food is considered to be one of the healthiest foods and probably the life expectancy of Japanese is longer than in many parts of the world.
Traditional Japanese Food It is considered one of the healthiest diets and probably has the longest life expectancy in Japan.
According to the World Health Organization, the average life expectancy of Japanese men and women is 79 and 86 years, respectively (compared to 75 and 80 years for Americans).
What is traditional Japanese food?
The diet includes:
- Cooked and raw fish and seafood
- Pickled, fermented, and smoked foods
- Rice or noodles
- Small amounts of red meat, chicken, eggs and dairy foods
- Soybeans, usually in the form of tofu or fresh adamem
- Fermented soybean products such as Miso and NATO
- Beans like Aduki
- Land and marine vegetables including seaweed
- Fuji apples, tangerines and persimmons
- Green tea And macha tea
What are the health benefits of traditional Japanese food?
- Rich in calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and so on Vitamins A, C, and E.
- Plenty of antioxidants, which protect the body from cell damage
- High up Omega-3 fatty acidsWhich promotes brain and eye health
- Less added Sugar And processed fats, which help Weight loss
- Rich in phytoestrogens, which help protect against certain things Cancer
- Rich FiberWhich promotes intestinal health and reduces risk Constipation
- Anti-inflammatory, which can help prevent Symptoms of Irritable Bowel SyndromeCrohn’s disease, and Ulcerative colitis
- Helps reduce Blood pressure And reduces risk Heart Disease
What is included in the typical Japanese food?
According to Japanese dietary guidelines, Japanese usually eat three large meals a day and two snacks.
The traditional way of eating in Japan is called “ichi-ju, san-sai”, which is the basic arrangement of a meal, consisting of a soup and three side dishes (called okazu). This method of eating encourages the use of different ingredients in each meal.
The Japanese also have a saying “hara hachi bu”, which means eating until 80% full and it is a healthy eating habit that is often taught to children from a very young age.
Due to its overall focus on eating a balanced diet of low-calorie foods in moderation, the Japanese diet is considered one of the healthiest foods in the world.
Has been medically reviewed 4/19/2022
Image Source: iStock Images
Jenny Kovacs. Diet of the world: Japanese diet. WebMD: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diets-of-world-japanese-diet
The role of traditional Japanese food in healthy and sustainable diets around the world. NIH: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852749/
Japanese Health and Nutrition Information. Japan Dietetic Association: https://www.dietitian.or.jp/english/health/